Idea for MIDI implementation for sampler programming
Vember Audio
start | surge | shortcircuit | FAQ | forum | shop | customer zone
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2017-05-26, 15:11:25

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed
Search:     Advanced search
7351 Posts in 1210 Topics by 454 Members Latest Member: - tofudrew Most online today: 10 - most online ever: 101 (2010-03-10, 03:30:58)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Idea for MIDI implementation for sampler programming  (Read 9961 times)
Afro88

View Profile
« on: 2007-11-17, 00:42:10 »

I had a good idea for how midi control for sampler programming could work. If there was a way so that you could assign a bunch of parameters to midi cc's, like pitch (coarse and fine), sample start time, amp env parameters etc. Then when you trigger a sample on the keyboard those midi cc's control the parameters for the sample you just triggered.

Wouldn't that make programming samples heaps easier?? I regularly load in a bunch of semi random glitchy samples and spend quite a while tweaking them to sound right. It would be heaps easier if I just played a sample, heard that it was a little out of tune then tweaked the tuning knob. Then onto the next sample!

How hard would that be to implement? Not very hard I'm sure.... Smiley
Dstruct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2007-11-17, 14:31:07 »

mmh, can't you do this all in the modulation-matrix (using envelopes and lfos)?
Afro88

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-11-17, 15:39:45 »

Well if you can I have no idea how...

I'm pretty sure if you assign parameters with the modulation matrix you control the parameters for all samples that you've assigned them for, not just the last sample you played. So if you assigned cc1 to tuning for a bunch of samples, then modifying cc1 would change the tuning of all the samples at once which is not what I'm getting at. What I mean is, if you assign say cc1 to tuning on a bunch of samples, then it will only modify tuning of the last sample you trigger or select. Like an edit/program mode or something. So if I play sound A, knob 1 will change the tuning of sound A and only sound A, then if I play sound B, knob 1 will change the tuning of sound B and only sound B. Does that make sense? I think this would be a great way to program shortcircuit from a midi controller.
« Last Edit: 2007-11-17, 15:50:38 by Afro88 » Logged
keyman_sam

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-07, 02:43:08 »

You can already do that using the mod matrix.

When you're at the zone level, each sample is independent from the others, so it'll do exactly what you described - when you map stuff into controllers, and you press L, after playing a note, it'll show you the zone which has the sample, and you can tweak the pitch of that sample alone, and leave the other samples unchanged.

Tell you what - I'll create a template which has CCs mapped, and still leaves you enough room with the mod matrix. Then all you need to do is hit "replace sample" and load in the sample you want for each zone.

JoeMFC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-09, 02:30:40 »

I'm with this idea. It would also be a big step forward to implement "editing by hardware" in Softwaresamplers.
I think of something like Zoom in and out Buttons, some Buttons to change the edit mode so you can use a jogdial for different funktions like

Button 1: Sample Start
Button 2: Sample End
Button 3: Loopstart
Button 4: Loop End
Button 5: Loop Fix (fixes the Loop length so it does not change when moving the Loopstart)

Button 6: Switch Normal/Slicemode

In Slicemode the Buttons have Funktions like

Button 1: Slice Start
Button 2: Slice End
Button 3: Create new Slicepoint
Button 4: Go to next Slice
Button 5: Go back 1 Slice

Button 7: Delete current Slicepoint

And for all this functions there has to be a "choose Sample by MIDI-Keyboard" Function (or in Slice Mode "choose Slice by MIDI Keyboard smiley )

This would bring back the fun I / we had with hardware samplers.

One day..........................

Peace
lomee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-07, 09:36:19 »

smiley.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: